Perform routine treatment procedures in accordance with established protocols. Instruct patients in therapeutic activities. Including ambulation, and use of equipment and home exercise program. Observe and report patient conditions; document treatment as well as patient progress.
Participate in other patient mobility based duties as delegated/assigned by the Registered Nurse, Occupational and/or Physical Therapists in the provision of mobility tasks to Inpatients on the adult Orthopaedic floor. This includes tasks such as providing assistance with bed mobility, transfers and functional mobility skills; coaching on precautions and proper equipment use; monitoring vital signs, preparing room environment and equipment tasks; encouraging exercises as outlined from Registered Nurses, Orthopedic pathways, and Physical Therapists as well as assisting with multidisciplinary communication.
- High School graduate or equivalent.
- No lifting restrictions.
- Must be able to perform a wide range of physical activities which include moving, transporting and positioning patients and equipment as well as constantly positioning self to provide patient care related duties.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English. Ability to read, write, follow oral and written instructions and identify underlying mobility principles, ability to reason and make judgements as well adapt to change in routine.
- Excellent public contact skills, i.e. courteous, tactful, friendly and works well with others.
- Ability to take direction and work independently in an ever-changing and potentially stressful environment.
- Special physical requirements; Walks and stands throughout the day, lifts/pushes equipment and patients.
- Demonstrates strong organizational skills
- Basic Computer Knowledge.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support training
- Two years’ work experience as a Patient Care Technician or Rehabilitation Technician, or Physical Therapy Assistant background.
This is a 40 hour a week position; Monday – Friday 2:00 pm to 10:30 pm. Job Schedule may fluctuate per patient and department needs.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.